We believe that engagement in PE and Sport can support the holistic development of young people by giving them the opportunity to develop key learning skills: Risk taking, reflection, independence, working with others, creativity & curiosity and problem solving.
Since Novemeber 2013, we have been in receipt of the Governments Sport Premium funding which is helping us to improve and develop upon this key aspect of our work. The school received £8,776 from the period April 2015 to April 2016. The information below highlights how we have used this money to improve the quality and quantity of PE, Sport and outdoor activity in our school;
- Swimming Lessons for Year 4 – Children went swimming during the summer term.
- Chance to Shine Cricket for children in years 5 and 6. Expert cricket coaches have worked alongside our teachers to develop outstanding PE lessons for cricket.
- Improvements were made to the outside area used by the children in Reception. This means they can use an outside space in all types of weather through the year.
- Development of a new Trim Trail on our playground. This is used everyday by the children at school.
Onging Sport, physical education and health and well-being opportunities the school offers include:
- At least two hours of PE a week for all classes
- After school clubs such as football, netball and Young Leaders (lunchtime activities)
- Bikeability in Year 5
- Outdoor adventure residential in Year 4 and Year 6
- Inter-school competitions and tournaments such as netball, football, cricket and handball
- Links with the local secondary school which has involved dance festivals, cooking and Sport Day
- Gifted and Talented football sessions at Wynstream Primary School